Monday, September 8, 2014

Yakkity Yak (Don't talk back!)

Welcome to Yakima, land of the fruit, home of the goats.

We love Yakima. Once again, I've been doubled-in to an area that's had Elders for a considerable amount of time. This are hasn't had Sisters for 15 years. The ward is so excited to have us here! And, we are so excited to be here.The weather is just starting to have a tinge of that beautiful crispness that tells us Autumn is on its way. With Autumn will come Apples, Halloween, Colorful leaves, and shorter days. I love Autumn so much. 

The people here have been exceptionally kind to us. The members here have been really good about sharing the restored gospel with their friends, and they are excited to invite us to meet their loved ones. We are so grateful for the effort and courage on their part. There are few things that can make me as happy as a person anxious to share the gospel with his/her friends and family. 

People here have also been kind enough to give us pears, plums, apples, and peaches. Blessings have been poured out upon us here. We get to eat with members every night, which brings joy to my soul, because we get to come into their homes, meet them and feel of their spirits and encourage them as they participate in this great work of salvation.

We have probably received more mail this transfer than any other apartment in the mission- all thanks to you wonderful people who are so kind to us. It helps that Sister Allred and I both had birthdays. I promise to try to write to the people who wrote to me, be patient with me, please!

Speaking of Birthdays, I would be highly remiss if I did not mention that my oldest Nephew Carter had a birthday very recently, and that I hope that it was full of greatness.
One of the packages we received this week contained DVDs of Mormon Messages- which makes me so glad because I rediscovered this video that made me cry tears of joy. (And if you know me, you know that I don't cry too often... I'm a tough girl)


My message this week is that there are indeed good things to come. I know that. If we keep pressing forward and refuse to give up, then there is help and kindness waiting around the bend. 

Sometimes our Heavenly Father asks us to wait and be patient for a little while until we are humble enough or the circumstances are right for the blessing. Sometimes we didn't know it, but the trial was a blessing. I have seen that so much being doubled in. When we have no idea what we are doing, and we feel so inadequate, we learn to rely on Christ. We learn that we don't have to be good enough because He is good enough. Sometimes we get so frustrated with ourselves because repentance and learning and healing take time and we want them to be immediate, or we become depressed because we wonder "If help hasn't come yet, who's to say that things will ever get any better" I testify that help and healing and confidence and answers come in time. Ether 12:6 tells us that a witness comes only after the trial of our faith. 

That is the way it HAS to work. We can't have all of the answers now, or it wouldn't be a real test. It's kind of like when I knock on somebody's door and they refuse the Book of Mormon because they don't want to add to the Bible. We could talk scriptures and logic and history forever but the real answer that has to come first is the one that the spirit gives when you read for yourself. Conversion comes first, then answers. Not the other way around. You have to have faith first, then things work out. If you try to switch up the order you will not find yourself becoming what God wants you to be. 

I promise that there are good things to come. Until then I remain your devoted friend,


Sister Caroline Faulkner

No comments:

Post a Comment