Monday, June 30, 2014

What's in a Name?

Let's take the seriousness down a notch and talk about names. I've been thinking about this for a while. Have you ever met those people who's names are not pronounced the way that they are spelled? Example Carolyn and Caroline. I was taught that in English phonics "The silent E makes the vowel say it's name" A silent "E" makes a long vowel hence Carolyn (Care-oh-lin) and Caroline (Care-o-line) 

Even place names like Sardina (pronounced Sar-din-ia)

I try to explain to people that those letters don't make that sound. Where did that extra sound come from? I try to explain that the entire purpose of having letters is so that we can know how words are pronounced when we read them- therefore things should be spelled phonetically. People say "It doesn't matter how it's spelled. This is how it's pronounced!" 

I've decided that I may name one of my children F-R-A-N-K pronounced "Bob" just to make a point.But in all honesty I would never do that. 

In other news- two investigators in the Spanish group got married on Saturday and my very talented companion Sister Owens did the bride's hair. It was beautiful. I played prelude music. (Anyone who has heard me play the piano will know that that was not as beautiful). Working in the kitchen I learned all sorts of Spanish. Words like "Platito" meaning "Little Plate." I love learning.

Well - I hope that all is well and that the world has not exploded in the last 7 months (not that I would know about it if it did. Missionary work would just keep on going). Thanks to all of the beautiful, wonderful people who wrote me letters this week. You know who you are. 

Keep up the fight. 1 Corinthians 16:13. Galations 5:7.

Love Always,

Sister Caroline Faulkner

No comments:

Post a Comment