Thursday, November 7, 2013

Why?

I want to preface this post with the acknowledgement that, as a woman, I do not have a priesthood duty to serve a mission. That is okay. Women have many contributions to make to society and to the building up of the Kingdom of God. I expect my greatest missionary work to be done in my own home with my own family. I recognize that being a worthy wife and mother is far more important and outweighs any teaching I do during my 18 month mission. My "Why?" question for all of the why-askers out there is a simple one:



I find that many of my friends and family members do not understand my desire to serve a full time mission.


People wonder because of the things that I've chosen to give up. 


Time at school

Money (Though my family is helping a lot)

18 months of extremely limited contact with my friends and family

Opportunities for work and relationships

Comfort and convenience while adjusting to the mission lifestyle (up at 6:30 AM every day- in bed by 10:30, going everywhere with a companion, restrictions on music, etc).



Then There is always the question "Why are you bugging uninterested people about religion- what right you to impose your religious beliefs on them unsolicited?"



What you have to see if you want to understand my motives is that I don't see it that way at all. 

I don't care much about the sacrifices. I am not positive what I am going to do without my music for 18 months, but I'm sure I'll survive.


But I love the questions. When people ask them sincerely and respectfully they give me an opportunity to say exactly why I am giving this time to the Lord.



There are multiple answers that I've been known to give in response to this question.


1. Because the Caroline in this picture already knew that she wanted to serve a mission. And not much has changed.


I'm also still this adorable.

2. Because I love teaching and I want to help people come unto Christ. (Doctrine and Covenants 18:10-16). I honestly believe that the people I am teaching will be more happy if they choose to apply the principles that the Spirit teaches through my words.

But the most important reason is this: 

3. Because Christ gave His life for me, and for all of us, and it is the least I can do to help His sacrifice reach as many people as I can find.

Doctrine and Covenants 19:15-19 has to do with this. Christ suffered for all of our sins, whether we repent or not. Why? Because He wanted to give us the opportunity to be saved. He loves us that much. When we love Him, and we are grateful for His sacrifice we want to help Him accomplish the mission that prompted Him to make that sacrifice. He seeks His children through us. And He never imposes on our free will. He can only save us if we choose to let Him. We show Him that we want His help by repenting of our sins and making sacred covenants with Him. 


That is my purpose as a missionary. It is "to invite others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored gospel through faith in Jesus Christ and His Atonement, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift f the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end." (Preach My Gospel Handbook. Emphasis added)

 Everyday Mormon Women made a recent Blog Post that concerns Christ as the author of our faith. I wanted to share it here, because it is important to remember as missionaries that Christ is the founder of our faith. I can bring the message, but without His spirit, the message is worthless, and without His atonement the application of the message is impossible. Christ is the beginning and the end. He is the motive. All I can do is try to serve Him. 

I can do but little in the great work that must roll forth. I am but a small part in this. But remember that by small and simple means great things are brought to pass (Alma 37:6).



So in answer to the questions- Christ. He is always the answer.


No comments:

Post a Comment